Friday, August 28, 2009

Another great Guillemgoyle

I've mentioned my appreciation for Gotham City Sirens artist Guillem March's gargoyle-designing skills before, and issue #3 feature another great example:
It's another example of Gotham City's insane architecture. Like, instead of going for a classic demon/devil gargoyle, or a bat-like gargoyle, this particular sculptor decided to go with some sort of horrifying giant bat-monster with an exposed rib-cage, hook-like claws and fangs that look like shark's jaws.

This image, by the way is a splash page, and incredibly well-designed in general. The gargoyle's cool, as is the depiction of Batman and The Riddler, their similar posture demonstrating the way they think alike as they compare their cracking of the complicated clues in the case they're working on. I like the little inset-panels, breaking up the dialogue and keeping the eyes dancing over changing art despite the use of a splash-image, and the way their borders make them look like little case files.

And hey, not only does the gargoyle look cool, as you can see from this panel, it's also functional, hiding a gutter to move rainwater off the roof and away from the building:

You know, I liked this Guillem March character the first time I saw his art, and I think I like his work more and more the more I see of it.

2 comments:

Hdefined said...

His covers are nice, but far too T&A-centric.

His interiors reminds me of a late '90s Image house artist - better than a Liefeld, but not particularly original.

Jeremy said...

I don't see how you get 90's Image house artist. He reminds me quite a bit of Tim Sale.

But how is that gargoyle practical? Do skyscrapers usually have spouts that pour water directly into the middle of the sidewalk like that?